Reginald Primrose


Hippie love child, punk teenager, pre mid-life crisis victim

I shall the effect of this good lesson keep, As watchman to my heart. But, good my brother, Do not, as some ungracious pastors do, Show me the steep and thorny way to heaven; Whiles, like a puff'd and reckless libertine, Himself the primrose path of dalliance treads, And recks not his own rede.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Frederick Stanley Haines bio

1879-1960


One of Ontario's outstanding artists and teachers, Haines was born in Meaford. In 1896 he moved to Toronto where he attended the Central Ontario School of Art. He later studied at the Académie Royale des Beaux Arts in Antwerp, Belgium. Working in the realistic style as painter, etcher, and printmaker, he tended to specialize in idealized Ontario pastoral landscapes. In 1928 he was appointed a curator at the Art Gallery of Toronto (Art Gallery of Ontario). As Principal of the Ontario College of Art, 1933-1953, he introduced a separate workshop for advanced students and an open studio where students could watch Haines resolve his own artistic problems in painting.

I just found a photo of him in my grandmother's box of old photos. The man on the left looks like Fred Haines, the man in the middle I'm told is my great-grandfather Bertram and the man on the right is still unidentified.



Posted by ME :: 2:23 PM :: (full post) 0 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------