Reginald Primrose


Hippie love child, punk teenager, pre mid-life crisis victim

I shall the effect of this good lesson keep, As watchman to my heart. But, good my brother, Do not, as some ungracious pastors do, Show me the steep and thorny way to heaven; Whiles, like a puff'd and reckless libertine, Himself the primrose path of dalliance treads, And recks not his own rede.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Frederick Stanley Haines- my collection

I was looking at the painting that hangs on the wall of my "library" and noticed it was by Fred Haines. It has always been there and I don't notice it anymore. Thanks to the internet I learn that he is semi famous in Canada. I also remember that I have more of his pieces in my attic. Maybe I'm sitting on an art goldmine!

Anyway the painting below is titled "Winter" and is an oil on board and was exhibited at the Canadian National Exhibition in 1938. I think my grandmother bought it at the exhibition for $60 as is marked on the frame. The painting has been past from relative to relative ever since. I'll post the rest of my "unknown art collection" once I get them out of the attic. None of these pieces are for sale.

"Winter"
12 X 14 on board
Only cost $50 in 1938!

I call it the "deer head" painting because the coast line resembles that. I grew up with this painting on my bedroom wall as a child. No sesame street posters for me! Only fine art will do in my blue collar Levittown home.

Untitled and no markings but signed
16 X 20 on masonite
This two dimensional painting gives the impression of three dimensions in low viewing light conditions. You could almost walk into the painting between the trees on the right or crawl into the cavity in the tree trunk.

Posted by ME :: 1:00 PM :: (full post) 2 comments

Post a Comment

---------------oOo---------------